Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gallbladder?

A couple weeks ago, I had the pleasure of experiencing what the emergency room doctor thought to be a gallbladder attack. While I do fall under two of the three "you are more likely to have this wrong with you" factors, I never even thought the tightness, pressure, difficulty breathing and odd pain would have anything to do with my gallbladder, let alone knew what the hell it did before that night. Apparently, fertile women usually beyond their thirties are common victims of gallbladder issues, but it can happen to anyone in the form of a one time attack (a spasm usually triggered by something), gallstones (calcified bile) or even a rupture.

They drugged me up and sent me home with instructions to eat blandly and decrease my fat intake. The funny thing is that I was eating a damn salad at the time the "attack" happened. So I've been doing some googling here and there to see what might be up with this gallbladder thing. Some websites were trying to sell miracle gallstone cleanse crap, others were legit medical professionals describing the surgery process and I even came across one article about how the removal of the gallbladder should be avoided at all costs because it's maladies can be treated in other ways.

One of those other ways is through certain foods, or so I've read. Pretty much if it's green, you can eat it. Beets, endive, zucchini, celery, etc. Citrus, apple and grape juices are also recommended, as is getting enough water every day. A good friend of mine goes by the "half your body weight in ounces" rule, which is a lot for me, but I'm trying. One website had a soup recipe, which I snapped a screen-cap of on my phone for future reference.


I bought all of the stuff, including some other essential items, last week at Albertson's. I've been having some pains here and there that are similar to the attack, so I figured I should get around to making it. The back of my fridge is apparently very cold, so I had to trim the frozen parts of the celery off. I used my Pampered Chef Micro Cooker to steam each vegetable separately, which made me regret not buying the larger one last order. I drained the excess water each time and dumped it all into my amazing blender and pressed the soup button. My blender overheated the last time I used it so I stopped it before it was done, but it was thoroughly soupy. I busted out my funnel and an old apple juice bottle I had washed out and set aside and now it's living in my fridge, waiting to be consumed over the next couple days.


I am a little perturbed that the blender is overheating to begin with, given they can blend up iPads and shit, so I'm registering it as we speak and contacting support as soon as I'm done typing this. Here's to my gallbladder's health and my blender's functionality!

No comments:

Post a Comment